Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Makes: ~20 “meatballs”
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can of green or brown lentils, drained and rinsed
Flax egg; 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp oat flour
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare a baking sheet with silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Make your flax “Egg” by combining 1 tbsp of ground flax with 3 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onions and sauté until they are translucent and fragrant. Add in minced garlic and sauté for another couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add onions, garlic, rinsed lentils, flax “egg”, chopped parsley, Italian seasoning, chili flakes, nutritional yeast, oat flour, tomato paste, salt and pepper into a food processor or high powered blender. Mix until combined - not fully blended you still want a little bit of texture.
- If the mixture seems too wet, add in a little bit of oat flour by the tablespoon.
- Form and shape the mixture into balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 25-30minutes. Flip halfway through baking. You will know they are done when they are a golden brown and crispy on the exterior.
- Serve with your favourite pasta and pasta sauce!
Thanks Kristin for another yummy recipe!!